Erryn reviews ‘Flakes’ (A Licking Thicket Prequel Novella) by Lucy Lennox and May Archer. The ebook was released January 12, 2021 and is 69 pages. The audiobook version of this story was narrated by Michael Dean, released January 12, 2021, and is 2 hrs and 5 mins long. A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Why I read this book: I’m loving this series.
Colin’s Do’s and Don’ts for a Happy New Year:
1. Do not develop a crush on your archnemesis, contractor Ryder Richards.
2. Do finish remodeling the heinous mega-mansion with him well before the first snowflakes fall on New Year’s Eve.
3. Do not notice that he’s still the hottest man in Licking Thicket.
4. Do not let that gorgeous man provoke you.
5. Do not let his provocation distract you.
6. Do not let your distraction leave you stranded at the house with him during a blizzard.
7. Dear heavens, do not let him crack open the moonshine and light a fire.
8. Do not play drunken truth or dare with him.
9. And for gravy’s sake, do not let yourself fall in love.
10. But if you do… Don’t be surprised if this is the happiest year ever.
Book Links: Audible | Amazon | Add to Goodreads
Prequels are always interesting. Licking Thicket began as a one-off for Ms. Lennox and Ms. Archer. Their first book was loved by fans, and I believe the writing duo had fun with the collaboration. And so came book 2. When the opportunity to create a short origin story arose, the women took it.
Ryder and Colin are an established couple in the first book, with their daughter Sadie. But what was their backstory? How did they wind up getting together? This book answers those questions.
I enjoyed the (sort-of) enemies to (very much) lovers story. There are reasons the two men have been antagonistic to each other, and they weren’t things I could have predicted. And, personally, I’ll never look at tacky flamingoes the same way again.
This is a fun flirty book and it’s in the epilogue that I got my Licking Thicket fix.
Two more quick notes – I adore Michael Dean and just thought he was fabulous narrating this story and I really liked that Colin was on the cover. Of the two characters, he definitely had the most sass – a trait I admire in memorable characters. If you’re starting here, you’ll definitely want to move on to Books 1 and 2 and I personally cannot wait for Book 3.
10/10 Pots of Gold (100% Recommended) – Compares to 5/5 Stars
Website | Facebook | Twitter: @lucylennoxmm | Goodreads
Lucy Lennox is finally putting good use to that English Lit degree earned way back in the 1900s.
She enjoys naps, pizza, and procrastinating. She has some snarky kids and is married to someone who is better at math than romance but who makes her laugh every single day and is the best dancer in the history of ever.
She stays up way too late each night reading M/M romance because that stuff is hot.